PIO to OCI @ Bangalore FRRO

23 Feb

bill_350_030515114725

This morning I submitted my daughters application to convert her PIO to an OCI. Lots of learning in the process – which I felt may be of use to others – listing the same below.

1. You need to log in and complete your application in the online portal https://passport.gov.in/oci. Information that you will need to fill the Online Application – a) Passport & PIO card Details b) Aadhar card c) Body Identification Mark d) PP Photo & Scan copy of Signature as explained in point 2 & 3
  2. You will need to upload a PP Photo but there may be no specifications in the portal – Please have a Square Photograph not less than 51 by 51 mm with 80% face coverage with plain light colour background – not white – without the border with front view of persons head & shoulder showing full face in middle of photograph. While uploading the photo there is no mention of specification – but after you have completed and printed it out there is a space to paste a PP photo – and that has the specifications listed above. Now you could have a situation where the uploaded photo does not match the one you are pasting – and this could cause rejection.
  3. Filling the Online form could take about an hr – the tough part is scanning the PP Photo and the Signature in a certain format  a) Both images must be in jpeg or jpg format, with max size 200kb  b) The Min dimensions are 200 Pixels (W) X 200 Pixels (H) for the Photo and Max Dimensions are 900 Pixels (W) X 900 Pixels (H)  C) For the scan signature the Min dimensions are 200 Pixels (W) X 67 Pixels (H)  and Max Dimensions are 900 Pixels (W) X 300 Pixels (H)Once you have completed this take two print outs – the printout will state that all you need to attach are copies of the PIO & Passport – but beware you need many more documents to be  submitted.
  4. The FRRO office is located at TTMC A Block , 5th Floor , BMTC Bus Stand  Building, Shantinagar – Bangalore – 27 (Located at the Rear of the Bus Stand)
  5. The FRRO office is clean & well organised – starts at 930 AM – but they allow you to enter at 9 AM – Open only from Mon – Fri , 930 – 530 PM (Closed on Sat) – No Brokers
  6. Most people walk in with the printed form and a copy of the Passport & PIO – and they are sent back – so to save time and get the job done in 1 visit here are the set of  documents you need to carry
    • Copy of Applicants passport & PIO card – self attested – 2 sets , Take both front and back pages

• Copy of Parents Passport – front & back pages

• Address proof – Recent Gas / Electricity bill

• Birth certificate of applicant – Copy self attested + Original

• Aadhar Card Copy self attested + carry original

• Parents Aadhar Card copy self attested + carry original

• Good to have DL / Pan card of parents Copy self attested + Original

• Have the address of your last Res abroad handy – you will be asked to write that in the form at the end

• Keep extra copies of the PP Photos that you have pasted in the form ( keep a glue stick also)

With all this you may still run into problems – some examples

• The address has changed from your old PIO card – that will mean police verification
  • Your PIO card was issued in another City
  • The Passport Number endorsed on your PIO car is different from the current passport
  • Solving this will need the help of the Staff at the FRRO office and could delay the process

If you sail through – you will get an acknowledgement – and I was told it takes 45 – 60 days for the OCI card to be ready. It will not be mailed out and one needs to go back to the FRRO office to collect it. In the interim if you need to travel abroad – the existing PIO card with the original acknowledgement should suffice.

Two More Points

1. No fees are charged – This could be till March 30th 2016 only
  2. Applicant need not attend – parent can carry all the documents
  3. Last Date was recently extended from March 30, 2016 to June 30 2016 – http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/conversion-of-pio-cards-last-date-for-application-extended-till-june-30/articleshow/51143520.cms

All the best.

82 Responses to “PIO to OCI @ Bangalore FRRO”

1. Lalita March 1, 2016 at 6:22 PM #

hi. thanks for writing about this. I am in the process of applying for the conversion. It was useful to see the set of documents listed at the bottom. They need birth certificate etc.? Is this because you were applying on behalf of your daughter? Everyone doesn’t need it right? (i.e. if I am applying for myself). thanks. Also, did you upload pdf files of the passport and pio card? Or did you only have to take the copies with you? thanks.

• vak1969 March 2, 2016 at 3:24 PM #

You will need Birth certificate even if the application is for you

I dont recollect – but when you are on the Online Section it will guide you – I think the Passport & PIO Copy was uploaded

2. kish March 8, 2016 at 8:52 PM #

hi, thanks for sharing valuable info. i have a question. As for the signature, is it chhild’s thumb print or one of the parents’ signature which need to be uploaded.

Thanks.

• vak1969 March 10, 2016 at 5:29 PM #

Best time to travel is immediately after a Festival for e.g. after Navratri / Diwali etc

Feb / March is also a good time

Avoid school summer vacation , Avoid Times when Farmers / Rural is free – good to go when the Rural farmers are sowing or reaping their crops

July will be very Hot – you need to walk barefoot – and your feet soles will get burnt – keep socks

• vak1969 March 21, 2016 at 12:13 AM #

I guess that should be OK – but you may want to check with the person in the FRRO office

3. kish March 8, 2016 at 8:54 PM #

Hi, on the signature..is it child’s signature or parents’. please tell. also, i read somewhere that, everytime passport is renewed, the OCI also has to be changed.

• vak1969 March 10, 2016 at 5:27 PM #

In our case since my Daughter is 14 it was her signature

You are right the Passport Numbers needs to be updated on the PIO / OCI Card

4. Bala March 19, 2016 at 9:01 PM #

Thanks for sharing the info. My daughter is just 6 years old. Is it OK if I sign the form on behalf of her?

5. Dattaraj Rao May 13, 2016 at 4:42 PM #

Thanks for sharing your experience. Very helpful!

Was appointment needed for FRRO office in Bangalore? How do we make appointment?

• vak1969 May 17, 2016 at 12:33 AM #

You need to be at the office by 845 – appointment is first come basis

6. Jithin June 11, 2016 at 2:06 PM #

Thanks for the update. How log it took to get the OCI card?

• vak1969 June 22, 2016 at 3:24 PM #

My card was ready on April 18th – I applied in Mid Feb

But there was no intimation from the FRRO – surpassingly the mail did not come – or maybe it went to SPAM

7. Jérémie June 14, 2016 at 11:02 PM #

Thanks a lot!
    Your article was extremely helpful and I got everything done in 30min at the FRRO.

8. Sreenivas June 17, 2016 at 10:55 PM #

Thanks Anand for referring me to your wonderful blog. I applied for PIO to OCI this morning with out much trouble though. But, I am sure I will use lot of travel inputs from your blog. Thanks for sharing your experiences for the benefit of others.
    There seem to be few changes to the process towards making it simple. I just had to submit the below for my minor Son.
    1. Fill application form ( with photo and kid’s fingerprint uploaded)
    2. Upload latest US passport & first and last pages of PIO Card.
    3. Submit 2 copies of application form (with both the parents signature) and one self (father) attested copy of
    – latest US passport.
    – first and last pages of PIO Card.
    – Aadhar card for current residence proof.
    They just glanced at parents passports.
    Congratulations as you picked your daughter’s OCI card this morning 🙂 Now, my turn to wait for a quarter 😦

• GK July 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM #

Was your PIO issued from different city than Bangalore?

• Yagnavalika Rishi August 1, 2016 at 9:08 PM #

Sreenivas, Did they not ask for Birth certificate for the child ? Thnx

• GK August 2, 2016 at 10:05 AM #

Do you have to take you kid to the FRRO? Is it mandatory? If PIO was issued in USA is it problem going to FRRO bangalore?

9. GK August 3, 2016 at 7:04 PM #

My experience today at Bangalore FRRO.

I applied for OCI in lieu of PIO at Bangalore FRRO today for my minor kids. The process was very simple and documents needed also minimal. I have changed one of my kid’s name also. May be this would helpful for somebody in the name change process.

1. Prepare images for photo and signature or thumb impression of the kids with the specified size given on website.
    2. Have scanned copies of foreign passport( In case of US passport information page and last page and for PIO first and last page)
    3. In case of name change have scanned copy of document how you changed the name.e.g Court order or Birth certificate amendment.
    4. Fill the application Part A online and upload photo and signature documents.
    5. Fill part B and then upload supporting documents( Passport and PIO by selecting respective documents .
    5. For name change document select any other option and upload as this option is not on their website.( I learned after visiting FRRO).
    6. Take the two copies of printed application to FRRO.
    7. Supporting documents (
    -Kid’s passport and PIO one copy only information page
    – Either parent or kid’s Aadhar card one copy to show the address on application.
    8. It took only fifteen minutes for my application to be accepted. Waited few minutes to get the receipt and I was out in 45 minutes.

• Riyaz October 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM #

Last date to apply OCI in lieu of PIO is now extended to 31st Dec 2016

• Raguh December 27, 2016 at 7:20 PM #

I had gone to FRRO Bangalore today. I was told that the last day has now been extended till end of June 2017 !!. I asked the clerk again, he confirmed that update has come only today.(although I couldnt see any written official communication in office or any website).

• Satya September 10, 2017 at 1:54 PM #

The last date is extended till 31-Dec-2017.

10. Nagesh October 26, 2016 at 7:44 PM #

I went to share my experience. I went to apply for my 2 kids. The process is very simple. Couple of things you need to take care: The photo you stick on the application has to be 50MMX50MM. I had to go back and get the this photo. And also ensure the passport has a validity of 6 months. Because of this I could not apply for one of my kid. Otherwise it was very smooth

• Jayaseelan November 9, 2016 at 4:23 PM #

I need your help to submit the OCI documents online for my wife and kids

Please help to clarify the below points:

1. Native Address : Local address in BLR or Foreigner’s home address
      2. Aadhar Card : Aadhar cards details of Indian national
      3. Scanned Signature Image : We need to take the thumb print of my Daughter(Right) & Son(Left)
      4. Passport copy(Xerox) : Only front and last sheet or complete Pages including Blank Page.

Thanks,
      Jayaseelan

• vak1969 November 10, 2016 at 12:06 PM #

I dont recollect details at this granularity – its been almost 9 months since I applied – the folks at the FRRO office should be able to guide you

• GK November 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM #

Hi,

Here are some information to help your questions.
        1. You need to provide local address in Bangalore if you go to Bangalore FRRO. If your address proof is in other City or State find FRRO nearest to you on their website.
        2. I think AADHAR card or address proof for parents are good enough.
        3.That right Right and left thumb impression female and male kids respectively.
        4. if it is US passport only information page which is just one page.Upload has been limited to few hundred KB. So you cannot upload full scanned passport

Also see my previous posts.

Thanks,
        GK

11. makhijamahesh December 7, 2016 at 12:11 PM #

hi is the date for pio to oci coversion now dec 2016. What happens if I don’t convert by then? Isnt it valid till expiration?

• vak1969 December 13, 2016 at 12:01 AM #

Not sure – I think the deadline would mean that the PIO status would stand cancelled after Dec 31st – so you may not have a option – but please check with FRRO

12. poovs December 14, 2016 at 3:16 PM #

Thank you ! How were you able to get Aadhar card for your kids (with non-India Passports)? When we tried to apply for Aadhar card for our kids with US Passports, we were told that PIO Card is not accepted as a valid ID for Aadhar application.

• vak1969 December 14, 2016 at 6:39 PM #

I don’t remember since its been a few years that we got the Aadhar card – but yes my Daughter had a US Passport and a PIO card when we got the Aadhar card

• poovs December 15, 2016 at 9:28 PM #

Thank you. We went to the FRRO Bangalore today around 3.45 PM. We were told that the “Tokens” for PIO to OCI conversion are issued only till 2.30 PM. The Front Desk lady asked us to speak to someone at the “Help Desk”, and an officer signed our forms to be accepted. Tokens were issued after that. It took only 5 minutes. And, yes, a minimum 6 month validity on the Passports is required.

• abhiram December 15, 2016 at 8:09 PM #

Hello

No need to show passport for Aadhar card. Birth certificate (foreign also is accepted), parent’s Aadhar cards and some other regular stuff. We have applied for our kids this year only and we got it without any issues.

13. Jay December 23, 2016 at 11:49 AM #

Thanks @Vak, this blog was very helpful, we were able to get done in 15-20 mins. Only suggestion is that they are bit strict on the size of the photo (50mm x 50 mm) when we went in this month (Dec 2016).

14. Nagesh December 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM #

Hi All,
    The Last date for conversion is extended until 30th June 2017.

15. TDDesai January 9, 2017 at 4:54 PM #

Hello, I have applied and upload all documents (nearly 4-6). Do I need to visit the FRRO or they will send the OCI Card to address ?

• vak1969 January 18, 2017 at 12:39 AM #

They will send you a mail , in my case the mail did not come – so after 6 weeks I visited them and the card was ready

16. Vivek Iyer January 11, 2017 at 5:34 PM #

Did your daughter also have to travel with you to the office or can you do everything on her behalf?

• vak1969 January 18, 2017 at 12:39 AM #

I did everything on her behalf – she did not have to travel

• Vivek February 12, 2017 at 8:05 PM #

17. Milind January 12, 2017 at 3:45 AM #

Self attested means signed by minor (who can sign) or by the parent who will go to FRRO to submit the application?

• Guru February 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM #

actually we took thumb impression of our kid and in frro they asked for signature of the parent next to thumb impression.

18. Steve January 15, 2017 at 8:39 PM #

Useful blog. Here is an update

As per the Gazette of India (Part-I, Section-I) published on 09.01.2015, all the existing Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) card holder registered as such under new PIO Card scheme 2002, shall be deemed to be Overseas Citizens of India Cardholder.

Again as per the Gazette of India (Part-I, Section-I) published on 30.09.2014, a PIO card issued to an applicant shall be valid for his lifetime, provided such applicant has a valid Passport.

19. Rahul Chowdhri January 17, 2017 at 7:45 PM #

nice blog. Followed it to the T and it was a quick process. Few things people forget are
    – double copies of the form
    – address proof of parent (passport copy/ adhaar copy etc.)
    – Self attestation of form by the applicant

Rest is straight forward

• Abhiram June 17, 2017 at 2:24 AM #

Hello

Is the address proof of only one of the parents enough, or both ?

20. Ram January 30, 2017 at 2:00 PM #

Dear Friends, one question..How do I get the thumb impression of kids? is it just getting the thumb impression on a white paper and get ti scanned as JEPG? and scan phoe[specified size] and upload as jepg? please some one confirm this.. i am going to start the application.

• Guru February 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM #

Yes, thumb impression on paper and scan

21. Guru February 21, 2017 at 12:10 AM #

Thanks for the details in the blog, I was able to apply for PIO to OCI for my 6 year old kid at FRRO Bangalore. They did not ask for Aadhar for my kid though. T The photo I took was not of dimensions 50 mm X 50 mm So I had to run to a mobile shop near by and get a photo of the image i had and submit the application. he whole process was over with in one hour.

• susmitach March 17, 2017 at 1:03 AM #

Can you let me know if there are any fees for the same? The post and follow up comments are very informative. Thanks

• BM Muthu April 12, 2017 at 11:13 PM #

No fees whatsoever.

22. Vinay April 11, 2017 at 6:28 PM #

Hello All,
    This is my experience with the FRRO Bangalore, which is housed in BMTC bus stand, Shanti Nagar Double road.

Our case was “OCI in lieu of PIO”, the appointment was on April-11th-2017. The OCI is for my kids.

This is what you need….

Two copies of the application. I took one the first time and i was sent back.
    Two copies of kids PIO
    Two copies of kids Passport
    Two copies of parents Adhar Card (or you can take DL or Voter ID)
    Two copies of parents Passport
    You MUST physically take the kid with you.
    The office opens at 9:30, but it is better to be there before 9:00 AM, as there lot of rush.
    No cash necessary for “OCI in lieu of PIO” cases till end of June/2017, after that, this service will be charged.

• Sach May 9, 2017 at 7:31 PM #

Hi Vinay,
      Some of the earlier posts mention that a minor kid need not accompany to the FRRO office. But, you have mentioned that it is a must to physicallt take the kid along. Could you please confirm if the office guys had told this specifically to you?
      Thanks

• Vinay Chandrashekar July 24, 2017 at 9:38 PM #

The officer wanted to see my son in person as he wanted to ensure the photo is the latest one the appearance is matching

• Satya September 10, 2017 at 1:52 PM #

I took only 1 copy of everything and no questions asked. My luck, I guess.

23. BM Muthu April 12, 2017 at 3:05 PM #

I just applied yesterday. Is the police verification involved ? Will they come to home and verify ? I am planning to travel for two weeks. So wanted to know.

• Saravanan muthuraman June 14, 2017 at 11:56 AM #

YES,Police verification is mandatory.They will visit home and at that time both baby and parents should be present

• vak1969 June 14, 2017 at 12:28 PM #

This is needed only if there is change of address – I did not have police verification

• Vinay Chandrashekar July 24, 2017 at 9:40 PM #

The police will call you ans ask you to come to police station. if your son does not have an address proof, you need to obtain a address proof certificate from the school on their letter-head

24. Srinivas April 21, 2017 at 9:51 PM #

Very helpful and crisp instructions. Will follow this and will give my feedback.

25. Gaurav May 5, 2017 at 9:24 PM #

Just a small query. Once I fill the form, upload picture and documents – Is there a process to take appointment or I just visit the FRRO office on a day of my choice?

• vak1969 May 6, 2017 at 11:40 AM #

Visit the FRRO office – reach by 8.45 – its token system there

26. bhaskar May 7, 2017 at 1:40 PM #

Last date for free pio to oci extended to 31 dec 2017 on 7 may 2017

• vishal May 8, 2017 at 6:39 PM #

@bhaskar, this is very old news..your link is of news dates Jun 20, 2016. Please check thoroughly and then post. Please ignore the link by Mr. Bhaskar.

• DP May 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM #

This is ANS | Updated: Jun 20, 2016, 12.45 PM IST .So 2016 not 2017

27. JA May 16, 2017 at 6:08 PM #

Hi there, many thanks for posting the details. i also need to go to the FRRO Bangalore shortly as my son got a new passport. its not a brand new OCI card for him, but due to the new passport and since he is still under 20 he will have to get an OCI card.

28. A.Anantharaman May 28, 2017 at 12:20 AM #

Thank you for a very useful article.
    ((1) Is the birth certificate of the applicant necessary?My wife and I were born over 60 years ago .There were no birth certificates then.How do I deal with that?
    (2) MY PIO card was issued in Newyork.Now I want to do the OCI conversion at Bangalore FRRO.Is that a problem?How will they do police verification then?
    (3) Are there agents who can get the process expedited for you for a fee?

• Satya September 10, 2017 at 1:35 PM #

Just take all the original documents that you have related to ID, address and Status. They will guide you. Worst case, you may have to make one more trip. Timings 9:00 am to 2:00 pm in Bangalore.

29. Deepesh June 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM #

Thank you for taking time in writing this blog – it helped me in preparing all the needed documents and get it right the 1st time. Appreciate the well-written article and your efforts

30. Kedar K. June 27, 2017 at 1:18 PM #

Hi,
    I am adding a few comments here as this article is sort of becoming a key pointer for the PIO to OCI conversion 🙂
    The following is based on my experience on 23 June 2017
    1. 2 copies of application form with 51mm*51mm photo (same as Indian PP) pasted with a glue stick in the prescribed location.
    2. Photo pasted on the application has to match the uploaded photo
    3. Photo upload process is painful as we need to carefully align the picture to match the requirements on the site. The upload is not allowed if the photo dimensions are not correct. Don’t worry too much about this as the site has inbuilt checks for the same. Only thing that you need to care about is the clarity of the picture during scanning (no shadows on the face – one person was sent back for a re-scan as the PP wasn’t clear)
    4. Pt #3 applies to the scanned copy of the signature/thumb imprint as well (this has to have a ratio of 1:3)
    5. Xerox copies of the following are needed – a. Foreign Passport (all pages that have a entry) b. PIO card (all 3 pages) c. Address proof of the minor (Aadhar card, electricity bill, parents aadhar card) as entered in the application.This is all that is needed along with 2 copies of the application form.
    6. Minor’s presence is not needed.
    7. As there is a lot of rush these days in view of the June deadline, try to be as early as possible (8:45 am). I reached at 11am and left at 1.30pm. (I was lucky that I could get this done before the lunch break which is from 1.30pm to 2.30pm)
    8. I was told that the card will take 3-4 months to arrive. Police verification was also due since the address in my son’s application did not match the address in the FRRO document.

All the best.

31. abhiram June 29, 2017 at 4:09 PM #

The last date for free PIO to OCI conversion has again ben extended to Dec 31st 2017

Links for reference –

32. Priya July 3, 2017 at 3:11 PM #

Thank you for the wonderful article. It was very helpful.

My son’s OCI card is ready.

I am out of town and would like to know, if there is any time limit,for picking up the card from the Blore FRRO office.
    I tried calling them up, but no one answers the phone.

Please kindly help me with this matter.

Thanks

• vak1969 July 3, 2017 at 5:29 PM #

No there is no time limit – they keep it with them – whenever you are back take the slip you had got at the time of processing and they will hand it to you in minutes

• Priya July 5, 2017 at 12:42 AM #

33. Ajay Sood (@asood2100) July 5, 2017 at 5:36 PM #

Do we need to have a Aadhar card for the applicant. ? Is it compulsory. I wasn’t even aware that US born kid can have a Aadhar card ..

• vak1969 July 6, 2017 at 12:29 PM #

I am not sure – but yes my daughter has an Aadhar card

• abhiram July 7, 2017 at 1:40 AM #

Yes. I think it’s better to get Aadhaar card first and then apply for OCI. As they say, aadhaar is proof of identity – not citizenship.

• jagadish July 13, 2017 at 6:59 PM #

I visited today and here is the list required

1. original latest passport and PIO card (just to cross verify)
        2. 2 sets of applications
        3..PIO card copy
        4.. passport copy
        5. address proof copy

Thats it.

• Satya September 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM #

The FRRO did not ask for kid’s aadhar. They asked for parent’s aadhar. You can apply for kid’s aadhar if you live in India. Schools are asking for aadhar these days.

34. Gautam Khanna July 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM #

Is the queue same for submission of the application and collection of OCI? Wanted to know if collection also requires you to show up early in the morning. Thanks

• vak1969 July 29, 2017 at 2:29 PM #

Yes its the same Q – but the Q dies down after 11 AM or post lunch

35. Ajay Sood (@asood2100) August 2, 2017 at 6:25 PM #

Which document is to be used as a address proof for 10 years old kid?

• Papa August 14, 2017 at 6:48 PM #

I gave aadhaar copy

36. Satya September 10, 2017 at 1:38 PM #

The last date for free PIO to OCI conversion is 31-Dec-2017. The PIO card will NOT be valid after October 2018 for travel. This is the update from FRRO, Bangalore

37. Daniel Hilton September 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM #

Thanks For All The Great Information.It Helped Me A Lot.