Enough and more has been said on this topic. All news channels, WhatsApp groups, community messages have flooded us with ” What NOT to do” . I want to focus on “What You must Do” to stay fit and healthy – physically & mentally. The 21 day lockdown may well stretch to 3 – 4 months and this is a golden opportunity to do the things you have been wanting to do for long. You can focus only on what is in your control and not worry about the rest. Life goes on – the Corona Virus will also pass as the wheel of life slowly moves day by day.
I am listing down these suggestion in 3 Points
# 1 Follow the WHO Guideline
At a time when every Tom, Dick & Harry has a view, follow the WHO guideline. If you have not visited the website do it NOW. https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_2. I am listing down the points as mentioned in WHO Guidelines.
To prevent infection and to slow transmission of COVID-19, do the following:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain at least 1 metre distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs.
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people
China recovered fast, Italy, Spain , Europe & US seem to be collapsing. But Japan a close neighbour of China has hardly been affected. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/world/asia/japan-coronavirus.html. India with its higher immunity, tropical climate and spicy food habits will probably weather it out better than most countries. So don’t panic.
# 2 Stay Healthy & Fit – Exercise
With most countries in a state of lockdown this is an excellent time to focus on your health. You have the most priceless item in your availability – TIME. So make the best use of it. So what if the gym is closed you can do many more things to stay Fit & Healthy. Here are a few must do’s every day
- Brisk walking for at least 60 minutes every day. Good to do in the morning Sun. It may be boring to walk alone so get a walking companion. A brisk walking companion can help you do 20% more. 1 Hr of brisk walk is 6 – 8 Kms and thats burning nearly 700 – 800 calories
- Climb Stairs – If walking continuously is boring, break the monotony by climbing stairs (ie if you live in a multi-storey complex). For every few rounds around the complex – climb one block of stairs. Climbing stairs is a great exercise to stay fit and loose weight. It also opens up your knees. (If you are obese and overweight do it slowly and avoid climbing down as that can impact your knees)
- Do Yoga for 1 hr every day. You can mix and match Yoga with floor exercises to break the monotony. Play some music, keep changing tracks, and do it outside. If you have a pool in your complex preferably by the poolside in the morning or the evening. Start doing more Surya Namaskars – Its a comprehensive exercise by itself. If you had a capacity to do 5 you can start increasing that on a daily basis. Remember the trick to do more Surya Namaskar’s is to take a 5 min gap between two sets during which you can do some asanas or breathing exercises. Here again a Yoga partner can help you be more energised and push yourselves more. Play soothing music or Mantras as you do Yoga.
- Pranayam – This is a must do exercise that cleans up the nasal tracts and strengthens the lungs. There are enough videos on youtube on how to do deep breathing & Pranayam. Do this for at least 10 minutes every day. Even Om Chanting is a form of Pranayam as it involves deep breathing
- Inhalation with Tulsi/ Ayurvedic ingredients – Try doing this every night before going to sleep. It cleans the nasal passage of all blockages and strengthens the immunity system.
# 3 Stay Healthy & Fit – Eat Healthy
Again this lockdown is a great opportunity to eat light and healthy. Losing weight is done in the mind not in the Gym. Eating less means less usage of vegetables & grocery, less cooking, fewer vessels to wash, less trash – all of this helps you and the community.
- With no rush you can break your regular schedule of breakfast / lunch / dinner with Grains based meals. Skip a meal once in a while, eat 75% of your normal diet
- Eat more fruits, sprouts (It’s easy to make it at home)
- Try to finish dinner early by 7 PM.
- Try fasting on fruits once a week.
- Try intermittent fasting once a week when you eat a meal at 11.30 AM and your next meal is breakfast the next day – 18 hrs later.
- Set a goal to lose 5 Kgs in this 21 day lockdown period and I am sure you can achieve it successfully.
In Conclusion – Every crisis can be an opportunity, as Mother Nature heals with a global shutdown here is an opportunity for you to cleanse yourself and becoming healthier and stronger – boosting your immunity system.
Stay Positive – Be Happy