The closest beaches from Bangalore are Chennai or Goa. Both are great beaches but very commercialized. Based on a friends recommendation we tried Neeleshwar – and it was a Wow !
Neeleshwar is a long drive from Bangalore ( 8 Hrs). Its 230 Kms from Mysore ( Mysore – Coorg – Cross the W Ghats and then Reach the Kerala Coast at Kasargod). We left in the evening – took a break at Mysore for the night and started in the morning. The 230 Km from Mysore to Neeleshwar takes about 5 Hrs.
MYSORE – > (50km) HUNSORE – > (15KM) PERIYAPATTANAM – > (22KM) – > KUSHALNAGAR – > (31KM) MADIKKERI – > (36km) BAGAMANDALA – > (31km) PANATHUR – > (40km) MAVUANGAL – > (5KM) NEELESHWAR
Neeleshwar Hermitage is a wonderful homely resort that is located on the beach. The rooms are lovely, service is great and the food authentic Kerala Cuisine. Its serene , quiet and peaceful and the perfect getaway for relaxation.
The rooms are well designed and have a view of the Ocean , The swimming pool is fabulous and it feels like its cascading into the ocean. The sand is soft & clean. Though the rooms have no TV’s you don’t miss it at all.
Few Imp Tips
1. There is a train from Bangalore – 16517 Kannur Express that leaves Yeshwantpur Jn at 20.35 and reaches Kanhangad at 10.19 the next day. The return train is called Yeshwantpur Express 16518 – leaves Kanhangad at 17.40 and reaches Bangalore at 07.05 .
2. Room rates are about 10 K / Night – Food is expensive – no restaurants close by – a room for 3 nights with family can cost you 50 K ( $ 1000) – and thats in off peak season
3. Limited activities around – there is a wonderful fort close by and you can take a House Boat ride for a few hrs, also some villages where you can see Jackfruits, Coconuts , Mangoes … and even pluck them
4. The Resort does organize evening cultural activities in peak season when the resort is full
5. Kids tend to get bored after 2 days – so a 3 night 4 day package may be a tide too long ( But with a 8 hr drive you don’t want a 2 day holiday !!)